Raising pups is the core mission of Slough Creek: choosing a den, keeping pups fed, defending against predators, building pack affinity, and getting them safely to the summer rendezvous! In WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, we will be updating and improving the pups. Here is a sneak peak of some new animations that we know you will love!
Will there be more dens?
- Yes, with the bigger maps, there will be more dens to choose from.
Can we dig? Can we make our own den?
- No, not for this update. Digging wherever you want is more complicated technically than you might imagine! As is choosing your own den locations.
Can we go inside the den?
- We know this would be a very popular feature, but remember that dens are small, dark, and crowded — not much you can do in there except curl up and sleep. So that makes it tricky in various ways, but we understand it would be a popular addition.
Can the pups be newborn?
- As in earlier versions of WolfQuest, the pups will appear when they are six weeks old and big enough to live outside the den. It would be fun to have them when they are newborns but they don’t do much except sleep and whine. Maybe someday.
Will there be variable litter sizes?
- Yes. Litter size in WQ3 will vary (probably between 4 and 7, but we’ll tune that during beta testing).
Will pups have personalities?
- Yes, they will — just like your mate!
Will pups have different coat colors?
- Yes, if you missed the pup genetics video, go check it out! Genes Behind the Scenes at https://youtu.be/wV-Dd_ror8g Read the blog post/description for FAQs about coats colors.
Will our pups get ill?
- Yes, there will be a chance your pups might get sick and they also might or might not recover.
Are all the predator improvements going to make it impossible to defend our pups?
- No, you will be able to choose the difficulty level, as in the current game. We will calibrate the gameplay so you can successfully raise your pups even with wilier coyotes and more dynamic stranger wolf packs.
Can we play as pups?
- We know lots of players would love to play as pups! Maybe someday!
Can we continue with our pups after getting to the summer rendezvous site?
- Yes, the upcoming episode Tower Fall will continue your life with pups. In the first weeks of June, the pups frolic at the rendezvous site in Slough Creek while their parents bring them their first meals of fresh elk meat. When the elk herds move down into the Lamar Valley, the pack follows — only to find other packs have already established territories in the valley. So they journey further south, up and over Specimen Ridge, then down into the valley of the Yellowstone River. There, on the banks of the Yellowstone, with Tower Fall thundering nearby, the pack makes a new home amidst fellow predators and plentiful prey. Here the pack will stake out a new territory, protect their family from danger, and raise a new generation of skilled hunters. The Tower Fall expansion will be an in-game purchase that we think will be about $6-8. It will be released later in 2018 (after WQ 3).
Can our pups grow up and help raise the next generation of pups? Can they stay with our pack or disperse?
- Keep in mind, even at the end of Tower Fall, your pups will still be only eight months old. Someday we hope to add a winter episode that would last through spring, when the next litter is born. Wolves generally disperse at about two years old.
When will WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition be released?
- We are still hoping to release the game later this year but do not have a release date yet. Why so long? We started out making a new episode (Tower Fall) but soon realized it would be better to update the whole game first. If you have been following our progress, you know that we keep thinking of awesome new improvements and WQ3 will be a whole new game from the ground up. We know it is hard to wait and we appreciate everyone’s patience. We think it will be worth it!
How can I support WolfQuest game development? • Buy the game! • Tell your friends that WolfQuest is a great game! Games sales are why a little game about wolf ecology is still going strong after more than ten years. • Give WolfQuest as a gift to a friend! Steam and itch.io make it easy to gift games. • Buy the music extras and consider leaving a tip. • Donate to game development at https://fundly.com/wolfquest. • Follow, subscribe, and support WolfQuest on social media and Steam. Good buzz keeps WolfQuest alive. • Write reviews. Great ratings and positive reviews from our fabulous players make a huge difference. Take the time to give WQ some love wherever you are online.
We appreciate all the ways players support WolfQuest! We truly wouldn't be here doing this without you.
- The pup models and animations are created by the amazing 3D artists at GIM (Games in Motion).
- Puppy sounds are authentic and graciously provided by the International Wolf Center and Wolf Park.